Friday, December 7, 2007

Badger State Trail Run

http://www.badger-trail.com/
Great Rails-to-Trails path.
Goes on forever (~30+ miles) in Wisconsin (north-south
Started at the trailhead in Belleville (http://www.badger-trail.com/belleville)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1488779

I ran this the week of Thanksgiving. It was in the 20s and windy. The ground was hard. I didn't realize how stiff my joints get in the cold. On the plus side, I didn't need much water, and I ran faster to keep warm.

The path kept going straight. I could see forever. Once I became accustomed the headwind blowing from the south, I eventually warmed up and found a rhythm, urging my feet on. No one was around. I passed 1 guy walking his beautiful sleek, gray dog. He was dressed in a thick flannel jacket and wool cap. He also was protected by a lot more body fat than I carry. I was envious.

I reached "the Tunnel." I had read about it but didn't realize it would be so dark. I ran right up to the entrance and then stopped, spooking like a nervous horse. I couldn't see the other end. Since I was alone, and I had gone about 4 miles, I decided it was a good time to turn back.

As I headed back, I heard several shots of gunfire ring out from a thicket of nearby trees. Deer hunting season had just opened. I was wearing all black. I started sprinting, the adrenaline causing my heart to pound in my chest. I've never run so fast. Even though sprinting wasn't going to help me dodge a stray bullet, it made me feel safer to run away from the gunfire. So, if you want to PR, run in cold weather, near the woods during hunting season. That's the lesson.

No comments: