Thursday, September 27, 2007

Evening UCSD Run

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1350109


This was a great run, mostly because I almost didn't do it. After an exhausting day, I didn't make it home to run in Rose Canyon before dark. I collapsed on the couch for an hour before grumpily dragging myself into my running shoes and out the door around 8:00 pm

Running at night is fantastic. The air is cool, damp and refreshing. The ground is slightly moist and smells good. I can't see where my feet are falling so my vision softens, and it feels like I'm floating. It's so surreal. I do my best thinking during my night runs.

I finally started to perk up about mile 2. Jason accompanied me and was able to rally the whole time. He ran 6 miles for the first time since his illness! Already, I'm having a hard time keeping up with him. Not fair! The last mile before the turn-around was new for us.

We just kept going for an extra 10 minutes, not really knowing where our feet would take us. We ran by some dorms into the heart of the UCSD campus. A large square building blinked in brightly colored neon lights, seeming very out of place amidst the quiet, dark campus. Words like "Fortitude", "Lust", "Envy", "Anger", and "Sloth" blinked on all 4 sides. I'm not sure what was going on but it seemed like the 7 deadly sins were fighting with antagonistic attributes. Weird art. We continued running past the Giesel Library before turning towards the Rimac and playing fields. At the top of the hill by the track, we turned around and headed back. It was a very rewarding run.

No comments: